Face Lift Surgery (Also referred to as Rhytidectomy, Rhytidoplasty, Facial Plastic Surgery) is a Plastic Surgery operation performed to reposition the skin, fat and muscles of the face that have become displaced or sagged as a result of aging, gravity and sun-damage to achieve a more youthful and natural appearance.
Why have Face Lift Plastic Surgery?
- Face Lift Cosmetic Surgery is performed to regain a more youthful fresh look by lifting sagging jowls and cheeks.
- Face Lift Plastic Surgery is used to enhance the facial features to gain a rejuvenated appearance.
- The surgery is carried out to correct displaced tissues, skin, fat and muscles of the face.
- As we age several things happen to our face.
The skin loses elasticity and becomes lax, fat decreases and becomes displaced by gravity producing the typical jowls, flat cheek and lower Eye Bag.
Muscles also lose their size and strength and with loss of bone especially around the upper and lower jaws, the face takes on the typical features of aging.
The skin looses collagen and hyaluronic acid, sun-damage and pollution occurs (Can also be worsened by smoking), pigmentation is common (age spots), fine blood vessels and wrinkles appear. These all contribute to the ‘ageing’ of the face.
The Face Lift Cosmetic Surgery procedure will help reposition displaced skin, fat and muscles to achieve a natural subtle youthful appearance. However, in combination with this several other non-surgical or minimally invasive treatments or procedures may be suitable to achieve the optimum rejuvenation of the face. At LBPS we provide a full treatment plan that covers not only surgery but aftercare, non-surgical treatments and more.
Rejuvenation treatments or procedures may include skin care-Obagi, non-surgical Photo-rejuvenation, BOTOX, Dermal Fillers – Restylane (FDA Approved), Evolence, and Browlift, cheek or chin implants or a Cheek / Midface lift. What is right for you will clearly depend on your goals. Thus, at the time of your Consultation a thorough discussion of these non surgical and Surgical procedures and the options is essential to providing you with the highest standard of care.
Remember Face lift Plastic Surgery surgery will not change you and solve any life crises, but should boost your self-confidence and enjoyment of life.
Before Your Surgery
- General – Cosmetic Face Lift Plastic Surgery will correct loose skin / jowls / neck with some improvement in facial lines. Fat Grafting to restore volume loss, may be recommended to achieve the best results of your Face Lift Surgery. Any existing facial asymmetry will be pointed out.
- Medical problems – Any Heart, Kidney or blood pressure problems must be reported prior to Face lift.
- Drugs – Avoid Aspirin/Ibuprofen type analgesics for 3 weeks before and after your Face lift surgery . Stop Vitamin E one (1) week before surgery.
- Smoking – Must avoid at least 3 weeks prior to your Face lift or Rhytidectomy surgery and until wounds are fully healed or at least 2 weeks after.
Your Face Lift Plastic Surgery in more detail
- Anaesthetic – Surgery is normally performed under a General anaesthetic with Local Anaesthetic at the time of operation.
- Incisions – Are placed during your Face Lift cosmetic surgery in the hairline above ear down in front of your ear and then in groove behind ear to within hairline behind ear.
- Drains – One on each side of your head, remain in overnight. At your Face lift plastic surgery, dissolving or pullout sutures are used in front of ears – these are removed after 5-6 days.
- Clips – In some circumstances you may require clips which will be removed in 10-14 days after your Face Lift Plastic Surgery.
- Dressings – At the end of your Face Lift Surgery, micropore tape, wool and bandage is placed and will be removed prior to discharge. A facial garment is to be worn for the first 5 days then as much as possible for the next 2-3 weeks following your Face lift.
- Hospital Stay – This is usually 1 –2 nights after your Face lift.
After Your Surgery
- Mild pain only expected following your Face lift surgery, Pain killers – Avoid Aspirin / Ibuprofen type analgesics.
- Cleaning – Gently wash your hair after 48 hours following your surgery. Use mild shampoo only, such as baby shampoo.
- Exercise – Avoid vigorous exercise for 6 weeks after surgery . Do not bend down for the first 3 days following your Face Lift surgery. Sit up at night as much as possible.
- Care of scars – Gentle massage with simple moisturizing cream once sutures removed.
- Pain – Mild-Moderate discomfort only expected following your Face lift or Rhytidectomy surgery.
- Bruising – Common. May last for 2 -3 weeks. Can spread down your neck.
- Bleeding/Haematoma – Rare with Face Lift Surgery but will require return to the theatre for treatment.
- Facial Muscle Weakness – May occur and is usually temporary, affecting the corner of the mouth or forehead, which recovers in about 6 weeks, rarely permanent. Greater risk with revision / redo Face lift Surgery.
- Sensation – Skin of face, scalp and ears have reduced sensation / numbness after your Face Lift Surgery, recovery expected from 6 weeks to 6 months, some residual numbness expected on cheeks.
- Scars – Usually fade over 3 to 6 months, rarely may become red and thickened (Hypertrophy). Rarely, delayed healing of wounds, especially behind the ears, after your Face Lift Surgery.
Before and after images
Schedule A Consultation
In The Media
Mr. Christopher Inglefield and London Bridge Plastic Surgery regularly feature in the media.