Mini Tummy Tuck
Aging, pregnancy, and weight gain all take their toll on your shape, especially around the waist and hips. Skin laxity and stubborn fat contribute to the heavy abdomen and hips making it difficult to wear the clothes you want and also increasing lower back pain. At London Bridge Plastic Surgery, we provide a caring, professional service to achieve a natural aesthetic appearance for our mini tummy tuck patients in London.
What is a Mini Abdominoplasty, Mini Tummy Tuck?Mini Abdominoplasty, Mini Tummy tuck is a plastic surgery procedure performed to remove excess fat and skin in the lower abdomen, below the umbilicus, to restore a shapely silhouette or body shape and achieve a natural aesthetic appearance.
What are the benefits of Mini Abdominoplasty, Mini Tummy Tuck Surgery?Mini Abdominoplasty, Mini Tummy Tuck surgery is performed to reduce the heavy lower abdomen and hips to enable you to wear the clothes you want and boost your self-esteem. Especially suitable to regain your body shape post-baby! A Mini Tummy Tuck can restore a youthful figure, flat lower abdomen, following pregnancy, post-baby, or weight loss. Mini Abdominoplasty is less invasive than a full Tummy Tuck, with a short recovery time. Diabetic patients may benefit following a Mini Abdominoplasty by improved blood sugar control or reduced requirements for medication. The improvement in body shape can boost your self-confidence and comfort enabling you to exercise effectively to maintain good body weight and shape.
Am I the ideal patient for Mini Abdominoplasty Surgery?If you would like to improve your body shape because of skin laxity and excess fat in your lower abdomen, which does not reduce with good diet and exercise, do not have any serious medical conditions, and are not significantly overweight, then a Mini Abdominoplasty, the tummy tuck is likely to be suitable for you. VASER Liposculpturing may be required to achieve the optimum body shaping.
Do I need to lose weight before my Mini Abdominoplasty Surgery?We recommend that you should be as close to your ideal body weight as possible before you undergo a Mini Abdominoplasty surgery. It is important that you maintain a good diet and are losing weight before your surgery.
Does Mini Abdominoplasty require a general anaesthetic or hospitalisation?Mini Abdominoplasty surgery is performed under general anaesthetic or twilight, commonly as a day case.
How long is the procedure?Mini Abdominoplasty normally takes approximately 1 ½ hour to perform.
What about the scars following Mini Abdominoplasty, Mini Tummy Tuck?Unfortunately, it is necessary to have a scar as a result of Mini Abdominoplasty, but every effort is made to minimize the scars and ensure that these are as inconspicuous as possible. The goal is to achieve a scar that is as short as possible and which, once fully healed is barely visible. The scar is placed within the pants line – the bikini line. The extent of the scar is determined by the amount of excess skin to be removed.
Will the abdominal muscles need to be tightened at the time of my Mini Abdominoplasty?Stretching of the muscles in the lower abdomen occurs during pregnancy and also with aging resulting in the widening of the youthful waistline. Therefore, at the time of your Mini Abdominoplasty, the muscles in the lower abdomen will be tightened, if necessary.
Will drains be used at the time of Mini Abdominoplasty?At LBPS, we believe that any blood or fluid under the abdominal skin leads to inflammation and scarring, which can prolong the healing and lessen the quality of your outcome. Therefore, drains will be placed at the time of your Mini Tummy Tuck surgery, if necessary. These will be removed before you leave Hospital.
Can Mini Abdominoplasty be combined with any other procedure?Yes. Commonly, VASER Liposelection, liposuction is performed at the time of a Mini Abdominoplasty especially around the hips, outer thighs, or inner thighs to achieve an aesthetically balanced shape. Mini Abdominoplasty can also be performed with Breast Surgery such as uplift, Mastopexy or Breast Implant Surgery. What is possible and safe for you will depend on your goals and your individual circumstance.
What reassurance do I have with Mini Abdominoplasty Surgery?At LBPS, we understand that Mini Abdominoplasty surgery is an important and daunting decision for you and we aim to support you before, during, and long after your surgery. Right from your first contact through to your 1-year follow-up visit, we will provide you with the highest standard of care to minimize risks as much as possible and provide the optimum results for you.
How long is the recovery time?Mild to Moderate pain/discomfort is expected for 3 – 5 days. Patients can go back to their normal daily activities after 3 days, but avoid strenuous exercise/activity for 6 weeks. It will be necessary to wear a support garment for the first 3 weeks, day and night, and the second 3 weeks during the day. The majority of swelling will resolve in 3 – 4 weeks but it may take up to 3 months to return to normal.
What about the results?The results are first and foremost natural. The goals of Mini Tummy Tuck surgery are to restore your proportions to achieve a natural aesthetic appearance. The result should boost your self-confidence; allow you to wear the clothes you wish and feel more comfortable.
What are the risks of Mini Abdominoplasty?Common to all surgical procedures there are always risks associated with surgery. However, Mini Abdominoplasty surgery is a safe procedure when performed by a fully qualified and trained Plastic / Cosmetic Surgeon in Hospitals with a high standard of care. The common risks are bleeding (less than 0.5%), infection (less than 0.5%) delayed skin healing, and seroma collection (fluid under the skin). Each of these risks may require revision surgery. Other risks that may occur are, poor scarring – hypertrophic or keloid, blood clots – DVT and PE (0.5%), asymmetry, numbness of the skin.
How long do the results last?The results of Mini Abdominoplasty surgery are expected to permanent if performed in conjunction with a good diet and exercise. However, you should be aware that if you gain weight following your Mini Tummy Tuck, the results of your surgery will not be optimal.
Will a future pregnancy affect the Mini Abdominoplasty, Mini Tummy Tuck?A Mini Abdominoplasty will not affect your plans for a future pregnancy and will not cause any problems during or after your pregnancy. You should be aware that the pregnancy will cause further stretching of your tummy and you are likely to require a revision of your Mini Tummy Tuck after delivery.
Is there an alternative to a Mini Abdominoplasty?At the present time, there is not an alternative to a Mini Abdominoplasty for a person who has significant excess skin and fat in the lower abdomen. However, for patients who desire modest improvement and wish to avoid surgery, non-surgical treatments usually in combination – Velashape can effectively reduce excess fat and tighten the skin. Both of these treatments provide a painless option with gradual improvement in body contour.
Before Your Surgery
- Weight – Advised of losing weight as necessary before surgery.
- Improved safety and result when close to ideal body weight.
- Smoking – Essential to stop at least 3 weeks before surgery and until wounds are fully healed or at least 2 weeks after.
- Drugs – Avoid aspirin/ibuprofen type analgesics for 3 weeks before and after your surgery.
Your Mini Abdominoplasty, MiniTummy Tuck
- Scars – Lower abdomen – bikini line
- Muscle tightening may be required especially following pregnancies
- Sutures – Buried, dissolving. No need to remove these.
- Drains – Removed when significant drainage stops, and before discharge from hospital.
- Dressings – Waterproof dressing for 2 weeks. An individually sized support garment will be supplied following your surgery
After Your Surgery
- Posture – The abdominal skin will feel tight and you are usually unable to stand up straight for several days.
- Skin support – Firm cycling shorts or girdle type pants should be worn for 3 weeks post-operatively day and night, and then 3 weeks during the day. This helps to support the abdominal skin, and decrease post-operative swelling.
- Exercise – Avoid vigorous exercise, including the lifting of heavy shopping bags, etc, for 6 weeks. Moderate exercise such as walking or swimming is recommended 4 weeks post-surgery.
- Showering – Showering ONLY permitted when home and daily thereafter.
- Care of scars – Apply Micropore tape (1 inch) along the scar for 3 months to prevent stretching and accelerate scar softening. Vit. E creams may be used after this period.
- Pain – Moderate discomfort expected
- Bruising – Uncommon, may last for 2 -3 weeks. Avoid Aspirin/Ibuprofen.
- Wound – Occasionally, mild infection. Rarely, serious infections requiring antibiotics ( Risk less than 0.1 %).
- – Rarely, haematoma (blood collection – risk less than 0.1%) that may require drainage.
- Sensation – Some diminished sensation is expected around the scar and lower abdomen. Return to normal may take up to 3 – 6 months.
- Asymmetry – Uncommon, any pre-operative asymmetry will be pointed out and the operation will aim to improve this.
- DVT – Rare – preventative measures are used during your surgery and following to reduce the risks as much as possible.
Schedule Your Consultation
The first step to achieving the body you desire is to set up a consultation with the esteemed plastic surgeons at LBPS. If you’re interested in a mini tummy tuck in London, contact us today. We look forward to answering your questions and beginning this journey with you.