Rosacea, redness and uncontrolled flushing of the skin affects over 45 million people worldwide and one in ten in the UK. Rosacea is a chronic, inflammatory disorder of the hair follicles and blood vessels characterised by redness, flushing, burning, discomfort, inflamed papules and pustules. It occurs more frequently in women but more severely in men and tends to occur most often between the ages of 30 to 50 years.
Common types of Rosacea
Type 1 – Facial redness, flushing, visible blood vessels – ETR
– Intermittent flushing and or permanent redness on cheeks, chin, nose, forehead
– Dilated visible blood vessels (telangiectasia)
– Warmth and heat intolerance
– Sensitive skin – skin may sting or burn
– Swollen skin
– Dry, rough or scaling skin
Type 2 – Acne-like breakouts – Papulo-pustular Rosacea
– All of the above
– Acne-like breakouts where skin is red.
Type 3 – Thickening Skin – Phymatous Rosacea
– Bumpy texture of skin
– Skin begins to thicken especially on nose – called Rhinophyma
– May also affect skin of chin, forehead, cheeks, ears
– Open pores with oily skin
Type 4 – Ocular Rosacea:
-Dry irritated, ‘gritty’ eyes
-Swollen, itchy eyelids
-Tearing and burning
Rosacea has a number of differing triggers or stimulants which include spicy food, cold or hot weather, stress, alcholol particularly red wine. It sets up a cascade inflammatory reaction which results in the over-production of pro-inflammatory mediators and vasodilation of the skin leaving it red, flushed, irritated, and sore.
Rosacea can seriously impact on self esteem and can even lead to depression with emotional, social and professional consequences.
The new SkinCeuticals Redness Neutralizer reduces redness by interrupting the inflammation cascade and protects the skin’s barrier. We have had amazing results with this product and recommend it highly for use with all patients suffering from rosacea.
There are a variety of medical treatments for rosacea including topical and oral medication as well as laser treatment. During your skincare consultation, a detailed skin analysis will take place and a personalised programme will be created for your treatment.
– Medical Rosacea Peels
– SkinCeuticals Phloretin CF Gel
– SkinCeuticals Redness Neutralizer
– SkinCeuticals UV Defense
– Topical Metronidazole 0.75% cream
– Oral Antibiotics for inflamed spots
– Oral Low Dose Isotretinoin
LASER or IPL for thread veins, broken blood vessels
Surgery or CO2 LASER for Rhinophyma / thickened skin